Monday, March 1, 2010

Food Storage


So I have a goal to get our years supply of food storage before the end of 2010. my visiting teacher is amazing-- she actually cooks only from her food storage supply. It inspired me to start learning about food storage,and getting my own. Also, I've kept meaning to try out that beautiful wheat grinder that mom and dad gave me-- so nows the time I've decided :) my visiting teacher gave me a spread sheet of calculated amounts of various items, so I'm starting with that. If any of you have any suggestions/advice/etc please let me know.

4 comments:

  1. good for you! I'd love to get a copy of that spreadsheet. I'm excited to see you in a few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Ya know, it amazed me how easy and un-expensive it was to get our food storage in. I felt silly for having waited 4 years to do it. Grandpa also has some sheets he's put together on food storage. Dad can probably scan them in for you.
    I just had a great enrichment on cooking with food storage- we should talk about some ideas on skype. I'd love that.
    You are wonderful.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! It gives real peace of mind to get it done. The problem is that it has to keep getting redone over and over again. That is where Daddy and I are at right now--we need to get things replenished.
    It is admirable for your visiting teacher to use only her food supply--but what about ice cream??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a tip on keepinng it replenished (and I'm no expert.. I don't even know if this will work, its just what I've started, so we'll see...)
    I have a piece of paper on the side of my fridge and everytime I take something from my food storage, I write it down. THen when I go to the store, I take the list with me and replenish.
    So the list would look something like this:

    Honey- 2lbs
    WHole Wheat Flour- 10lbs

    You get the idea. If you have ideas on making sure its used before the expiry date, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete